Friday, March 19, 2010

The First Valentine's




Last year for Valentine's Day Eddie sent a huge box from Sacramento, CA to Rexburg, ID as my present. In the box there was a beautiful red purse full of money inside, chocolates and cadies of all sizes and kinds, and my favorite...a gigantuous card with pictures. The card "announced" where we were going on our honeymoon. It had pictures of Kauai, the itinerary, and his kind words of love towards me (ohhhh, how cute) ...it was a wonderful surprise.

This year we decided to scale it down a notch. We planned on staying home on Saturday night and cook a yummy dinner together. What Eddie didn't know was that I had already gone to Target and bought a whole bunch of cute Valentine's Day dinnerware to make our evening even more special. I hadn't decided what I was going to give him as a gift yet, but before I even made up my mind he decided that we wouldn't be doing presents this year. He said that the dinner was enough and that we could maybe go to the hot tub later. He had his mind set already, and thought that that it would be more than enough, well...I disagreed. We got in an argument on whether we should do presents or not and I tried telling him it didn't have to be anything expensive; but like every girl I love to get gifts, and even more than getting gifts I love to GIVE gifts. Anyway, he won that argument.

Valentine's "Eve" came and we cooked all day. The ribs that had been marinating for more than 24hrs smelled heavenly. Together we made the ribs, risotto, asparagus, a yummy green salad, and for the first time, I made home made bread. It was all very delicious. That week I had also made Eddie a gift. It was simple, but cute. I made a 20 page coupon book for him. In the book there were things such as "get out of dishes free card," and "breakfast in bed." I also made him a beautiful card and inside wrote my words of love to him. I was very excited because even though he had decided for us that we wouldn't exchange gifts, I had taken the time to make him something special.

Well, about 1 hr before dinner, when I was setting the table, Eddie comes out with a gift box and a card. You can only imagine the face I had on. I couldn't believe him! After giving me a lecture on how unimportant presents were he shows up with one. He apologized for the big deal he had made about me wanting to get him a gift, he said that he was trying to be frugal but had gone way overboard. Anyway, he gave me these awesome running shoes, and he knew how much I was in need of new ones; it was very nice of him. Later I gave him my present and he loved it too, he thought it was very clever, haha.

We enjoyed a wonderful candlelit dinner afterwards, and that was our first Valentine's Day as a married couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment