Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Work-Out War


Does anybody have any tips on how to enjoy working out, or how to have the will power to get up and just do it? If so, PLEASE share!

I have always known that Eddie loves working out, and me...not so much; and when I say that he loves working out I mean he LOVES working out, it is more like an obsession. And don't get me wrong, working out is a great thing to do, but 6 days a week for 2 hrs? That's over the top in my opinion.

My hopes were that after we got married he would get so busy that he wouldn't have time to do it everyday, and of course...I was wrong. I am starting to think that my husband is superhero because he works all day, has responsibilities in the evenings, and most days he manages to fit in a 2hr work out session. It's incredible! Me on the other hand, I go through phases. One phase I will want to work out everyday, and the other--never. Needless to say I'm on the "never" phase right now.

When we first got married I was doing pretty well. We have a gym membership to InShape City, (the only affordable gym in town, the other is over $100/person/month) which is not that great to be honest. The people who go there are pretty shady and I just didn't like the overall feeling in there; the guys stare at you like a piece of meat...it made me very uncomfortable. I was going on and off all the way through November...a good 4 months, and then I was done; I wanted to work out at home. Eddie already had a bench and weights but that wasn't enough for a full work out, so we started looking around and decided to buy a Bowflex. We paid $800 for one of the simpler ones, and I worked out every single day for 2 weeks! That was really good for me, but things come and things go, and we decided that we should take back the Bowflex and find a machine that was cheaper. It was the month that we had to make that emergency trip to Brazil and we could use that extra money.

We finally canceled our gym membership (we're trying to), and Eddie bought the X-Factor, sold the old bench and bought a better one with more things to do on it. I don't like it as much as I did the Bowflex, and to be honest I have only used it a couple of times. Eddie goes running every night for his cardio and I go with him about every other day. After cardio he comes home and works out for another hour and a half on this X-Factor and free weights.

Why can't I be like him? I could lose some weight and that's the way to do it, but I just don't have the will power that he has. He begs me everyday to work out with him. Some days it works, somedays it doesn't. It's so important to him, and I should be a better wife and make him happier by working out with him. I've tried to ask him to lower his work out time and frequency, but that didn't work. He says he needs to do it all 6 days, for at least 1.5 hours. So I'm trying to work out with him at least 3 times a week, and for at least 1hr...I'm trying!

So please, if anybody has any tricks or tips to help get my bum up and start working out with a smile on my face...let me know!

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think working out 6 times a week for 2 hours is over the top. I study Business and not Exercise Science, but I think 4 times a week for 45 minutes is enough, unless you're trying to lose weight or build muscles quickly and for a purpose. I don't think that's the case for either of you.
    Try suggesting that you work out with him one day, and the next day he joins you in one of your hobbies. It's only fair, right? It's balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like marjie's suggestion of balancing the hobbies! maybe that will get you more motivated to work out.
    for me, i just barely got back into it.. and i LOVE exercising and playing sports, but i just wasn't in the mood lately. i'm very goal-oriented so it helps when i have goals in mind. whether it's to be able to walk up those stupid death stairs at BYU without panting or whatever. i've been going to Curves, that gym for women, cuz i honestly hate normal gyms with the weights and stuff. i feel lost haha. but at Curves it's just for 30 minutes, and it's a circuit based on goals and continuous progress.. which works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. LOVE the new theme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls! Your comments help a lot. Lately I've just been saying..."I'll try" a lot. I'll try to lose weight, I'll try to work out more, I'll try watching what I eat, and trying is not enough, you have to commit yourself to something. Eddie always tells me "Quem tenta eh o diabo." hahah...true that! I made a goal this weekend, and the goal is that I WILL lose 10 lbs by our anniversary. So I have exactly 3 months, which is a good amount of time, because if you lose weight too fast it comes back easier. So, I started working out again today. I decided that instead of having a work-out schedule, I'm just gonna do whatever the heck I want each day...as long as I do SOMETHING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha good plan nat! it'll work. :)
    and hey yes the song on my page is one of my most recent ones.. but i wrote it last year sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it!! Very good!!!!
    By the way...I'm on my 4th day of work-out...and I'm feeling great!
    Today is yoga day.....yuck!

    ReplyDelete